[mythtv-users] Nvidia GeForce 6200TC or 7300GS?

Nicholas Newberry nickthecook at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 22:13:51 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm building a fe/be box (non-HD), and I think I've got all the hardware
pretty well picked out:

system: Dell GX280 Small-Form-Factor (2.6GHz, 512MB, PCIe slot, PCI
slot, low-profile (aka: half-height) cards needed)
HDD: Maxtor 300GB Ultra16 PATA
capture: Hauppauge PVR-150 LP

However, I'm still trying to decide between a GeForce 6200TC-based card
and a 7300GS-based card.

I'm sure the 6200 is easily powerful enough to handle what I'm using it
for, and I like that it's passively-cooled and therefore quieter (can't
find a PCIe 7300 that's both half-height and passively cooled), but I've
heard some rumblings about the 6200 having some problems with the video
out. On the other hand, it seems there is very little experience with
MythTV and the 7300-series...

Both are supported by Nvidia's binary linux drivers.

Any advice for a newb?

Thanks.