[mythtv-users] RAID 5 of different sized disks for mythtv storage?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Mon Sep 11 21:17:07 UTC 2006

On Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 04:56:56PM -0400, list at onnow.net wrote:

> Quoting "Paul V. Gratz" <pgratz at gratz1.com>:
> >   Setting aside the issue of each drive needing to be on its own IDE
> > bus (right now they share but I'm planning on picking up a new
> > controller card to get to one drive per bus).
> >
> Why each on its own bus? I am wondering if there is an issue with two
> on a bus?  I have two IDE ports and master/slave on each one.  It
> works, but is there something I am missing?

There's a number of potential issues.  Firstly, (I believe) the controller
can only talk to one drive on the bus at a time; secondly, a single
modern drive will use over 50% of the bandwidth of a bus so you lose
some performance by sharing; and thirdly, a failed drive will often take
down the entire bus (especially if it's the master which fails) - though
I think this latter issue is less of a problem with modern chipsets.

Anyway, for optimum performance and reliability, the recommendation is
to keep to one drive per bus.

HTH,
        Robin
--