[mythtv-users] Large Drive setup for myth

list at onnow.net list at onnow.net
Mon Sep 11 18:55:29 UTC 2006

You are exactly right.  LVM ( Not on RAID ) will be ALL gone in the
event of a failed drive.  I only put on data I dont mind ( too much
anyway ) losing.  I have a 1TB RAID 5 on software now.  I would like
more space and can see the need for it soon.  A good pricepoint /
redundancy discussion would be interesting.

What I do now, is this.  I have 4 320G drives.  I started with 3 in a
RAID 5 and did a raid_reshape ( brand new in mdadm ) to actually add a
4th drive into the RAID as an active drive.  I can add more now via
the same method.  The reshape works fine for me but is certainly beta.
  It is the closest I can come to LVM gorwability and hardware
redundancy.  Probably the best procepoint going too. My whole setup
for 1TB was just over $400.

Mark