[mythtv-users] .20 RPMS / or time to go source? Thoughts?

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 17:32:44 UTC 2006

>As I eagerly await the .20 RPMS I am thinking maybe
it is time to just
>compile instead from now on.
>I am interested in users experiences with this. Ease
of compile on
>FC5, upgrade etc...
>It is certainly nice to rpm -Uvh things in, but I
wanted to know if
>there are any advantages/disadvantages to this?
>Just on a general reliability/WAF/not much time to
maintain kind of
>Thanks for the .20 release.  Fantastic.
>I have not seen the .20 RPMS yet.  Axel?  Just
wondering on release of
>those too...

I'm not expert on building Myth but the technique I've
used on a few distros in the past is to install a Myth
package with a package manager first, build from
source, and install "over" the previous installation.
(set the --prefix=/usr).  Everything has gone well for
me except for MythMusic.  I've been unable to satisfy
the dependencies for MythMusic, but I've not tried too
hard either.  I just updated to 0.20 on FC5 before the
official release this way.  I've also done Unichrome
and Gentoo builds.

Do You Yahoo!?