[mythtv-users] Preferred video card

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 12:59:10 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/10/06 21:56, Dewey Smolka wrote:
> > >Both cards cost also around the same, so I'm going to pick one up. Is
> > >there a compelling reason to prefer the FX5200 chipset over the 6200?
> >
> >In short, probably not. The fx5200 has been the prefered card because
> >1) it works, and 2) it is (or has been) cheaper. MythTV users tend to
> >be a frugal lot, or at least tend to look for the best deals on a
> >given piece of hardware.
> >
> >I'm not aware of any issues or problems with the 6xxx series cards.
> Although the 6x00 series of cards use the 3D hardware for video (pixel
> shaders/video texture) and the 5x00 series and below use the
> chroma-keyed overlay approach.  Currently the overlay is better
> supported.  In the future, the 3D hardware may be better supported (but,
> by then, the 6200 will probably be available for about a dollar ;).

The new nvidia drivers support a new overlay system which Daniel plans
to being coding support for in a few months (he's on a MythTV

Which means, go ahead and get the 6200, it should be dual link capable
too, which makes it more future proof than the 5200 cards.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -