[mythtv-users] Problem with mythfilldatabase and home-brew grabber

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Mon Sep 11 09:48:32 UTC 2006

On Mon 11 Sep 2006 at 01:41:10 +0100, you wrote:

> Looking at the source of
> /mythtv/programs/mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp (I am not a C++
> programmer so beware ;-) ) it would appear that when run, MFDB writes
> to a temporary file in /tmp, so the grabbers are invoked using the
> --output option, and do not write to stdout directly:

Thanks for doing my homework for me. Even strace would have told me that
much, but I just assumed that it was going to stdout, because I could
see the correct XML output right there in the mythfilldatabase log.

> 2576 	    else if (xmltv_grabber == "tv_grab_nl")
> 2577 	        command.sprintf("nice %s --output %s",
> 2578 	                        xmltv_grabber.ascii(),
> 2579 	                        filename.ascii());
>
> When the grabber is run automatically from within MythTV, is this
> temporary file created normally, or does it have a size of 0bytes? If
> the latter I guess this is the problem - grabDataFromFile() is just
> being passed an empty file, which would result in the EOF at 1:1
> error.
>
> If you give your grabber an --output option like the tv_grab_nl
> grabber has, I wonder if it'll start working?

I bet it will. I'll add that option later today.

Cheers,

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | The way some people find fault, you'd think
ian at caliban.org             | there was some kind of reward.