[mythtv-users] Problem with mythfilldatabase and home-brew grabber

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Sun Sep 10 20:49:55 UTC 2006

On Sun 10 Sep 2006 at 21:27:49 +0100, you wrote:

> Do you need to (or have you) patch the MythTV source to add your
> grabber specifically?

I haven't. For the purposes of testing, I've simply used a symlink to
ensure that my grabber is run.

> Are there any differences in how you invoke your grabber and the
> grabber tv_grab_nl grabber that might cause MFDB to fail?

No. Both are usually invoked with no flags or parameters.

> Does the new grabber need an additional .xmltv file listing the extra
> channels that it provides?

Yes, but the path to that file is hardcoded in the grabber. It's finding
it without issue.

> What commands are use using the run MFDB - do you get an error free
> run when run from the command line - or does MFDB fail however it is
> run?

I run it with no options and yes, it always fails when receiving the
data on stdin.

I can work around the problem, I've discovered, by using a temp file to
store the XML. So, now I'm doing this:

new_grabber > foo.xml
mythfilldatabase --file 2 -1 foo.xml
rm foo.xml

and this is working like a charm. It also has the advantage that I don't
need to modify source or move symlinks around in my nightly programme
data grabbing cronjob.

It's just a mystery to me why I can't dispense with the use of --file
and send the XML output straight to mythfilldatabase on stdin.

Ian Macdonald               | I am a friend of the working man, and I
ian at caliban.org             | would rather be his friend than be one.  
http://www.caliban.org/     | -- Clarence Darrow 

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list