[mythtv-users] Support for xvid video?

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sun Sep 10 16:57:24 UTC 2006

I am experimenting with transcoding mythtv recordings - I'm trying to
greatly reduce the size and resolution of HD recordings while preserving
the AC3 audio - something not possible with mythtranscode.

I'm able to create an avi with the original filename, and it plays fine
with mplayer, but not with the mythtv interface (this is playing back as
a recorded program - not mythvideo).  The video does display, but it
tends to terminate abruptly, the color information is distorted, and
diagonal banding appears in the video.

I encoded the video using xvid.  Does anybody know what the limitations
of the internal decoder are?  Any suggestions for encoding video in a
format that it will find acceptable.  As long as the audio stream is
copied I don't care much about the video as long as it is decent by
standard-def standards.