[mythtv-users] Gentoo 2.6.17, PVR-500, no /dev/video devices?

Matthew K. Lee fratlee at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 06:58:22 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I'm not getting any video devices created in the /dev directory.

This is my first attemp at setting up MythTV on Gentoo.  I've got the
2.6.17-gentoo-r7 kernel, and I'm trying to figure out how to get my PVR-500
card up and running.  I think that I've got the kernel configured
correctly.  I've chosen to go built-in vs. modules.  I've read through the
various howto's && wiki articles.  I'm certain that I've got the kernel
configured properly.  (But of course, I can provide more detail if needed.)

So I thought it was a udev issue.  I emerged hotplug... read the notice...
and then emerged coldplug.  Set it to start with rc-update.  Still no video
devices.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

I'm also curious... Do I need to do something to install the firmware for
the card?  (i.e the HcwMakoA.ROM files?)  Or are these built-in somehow?

Thanks,

Matt