[mythtv-users] LightWeight Window Manager & fonts

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Fri Sep 8 19:46:00 UTC 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 3:30 PM, jim.herold at comcast.net wrote:

> My understanding, and I'm in over my head here, is that some
> channels run 720p and others run 1080i.  xrandr allows each to
> output native instead of myth having to do scaling for a fixed
> output resolution.
>
> Could certainly be wrong, but I read that in an old thread (2004)
> on this list.

I've never heard of this myself, but, assuming this information is
correct, what about the display device? I think many of the HDTV
displays (and projectors) on the market today seem to scale or
upconvert to one resolution. For example, an 720p source input might
be upconverted and displayed as 1080i.

The question boils down to where do you want your scaling to be done
at? Given that in todays market just about any device that touches
video (computers, AV receivers, DVD Players, and displays) offer some
form of conversion it can get mighty confusing pretty quick.

--
Scott