[mythtv-users] Upgrade motherboard/CPU without reinstalling FC5?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 8 00:34:51 UTC 2006

On 09/07/2006 09:30 AM, list at onnow.net wrote:

>Quoting William Munson <wmunson at rochester.rr.com>:
>
>>kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>I have got a dedicated backend running MythTV-0.19-fixes.
>>>Unforunately, the motherboard got fried somehow when I was plugging in
>>>into a newly purchased UPS for the first time.  I replaced the
>>>motherboard and CPU; then just turned it on with the same install of
>>>FC5.  It can run and record shows, but it is somewhat unstable (kernel
>>>panic twice in 4 days).
>>>
>>>I noticed that the kernel panic is being caused by the ivtv module.
>>>Is there anyway I can salvage this installation without having to
>>>reformat my HDD and reinstall FC5?
>>>
>>>The old system was a Soyo P4VTE and a Celeron D340 (2.93 GHz), the new
>>>system is a Athlon XP-M 2800 ECS 741GX-M.
>>>
>>>My bt8x8-based ATi TV Wonder PCI also no longer records with sound, I
>>>suspect this is due to the ivtv replacing the msp3400 module that
>>>comes with the kernel.
>>>
>>Personally I would start over and save yourself hours of grief and
>>troubleshooting. Good opportunity to upgrade to the latest of everything.
>>

>I would not re-install.  Linux is very capable of hardware changes.
>If you are up and running on your new hardware, and ivtv is causing
>issues, re-installing and having the same install of ivtv will do the
>same thing.  Total waste of time.  Just fix your ivtv.  Update to the
>latest version, re-install ivtv, etc.....  Do a yum update and get
>your system, kernel etc... to the latest version, nvidia drivers
>etc... as well and then start from there.  Any issues that you cant
>find help for elsewhere or in this list, then post here and people
>will help.
>
>Re-install when an OS has issues is for Windoze IMHO

Yeah, after all, think of all the time you can save by not doing a
4-hour install if you're just willing to spend a few days/weeks/months
tracking down the issues with the current install.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I'm fully aware that installations will take
different people different amounts of time, but I would also argue that
the quicker you can do an install, the more likely you have the
knowledge of the system configuration that's required to successfully
track down and fix issues with the current install.  So, it's quite
possible that the install time and the fix time will grow in parallel.
And, the install time can be reasonably estimated.  The time required to
find some unknown issue on the system is much harder to estimate.
Regardless, the point is, install if you feel it would take less time
than finding and fixing what's wrong with the current system.

The first thing I do when someone gives me a MS Word document to format
is save it to a plain text file.  Then, I read that file into my word
processor and begin to format it.  It's significantly easier to format
from scratch than to undo the formatting that someone else did so I can
format the document properly.  This is especially true when you admit
that undoing the existing formatting requires finding all the (possibly
hard-to-find) formatting that's already been done.  The same is true of
finding the configuration issue in a system--which actually can be more
complex because changes you make in searching for the configuration
error may add new errors or affect other areas (possibly even obscuring
the original error).

Mike