[mythtv-users] Per Card Volume Control Bounty started

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 7 23:56:26 UTC 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Anduin Withers wrote:

>> This is a feature that has been mentioned many times, but frankly I
>> doubt that it would help the real problem.
>
> True to an extent, personally I have no problem with the relatively
> minor
> volume differences between channels (differences one encounters
> using a
> normal TV), of course I do have that remote and often adjust just
> based on
> the show.

Some cable systems do a better job than others in keeping audio
levels consistent. Some just try and rely on AGC circuits that are of
dubious value as all they can really do is average over a period of
time, and possibly gate the really hot spikes.

Some networks are better than others as well, the ones with a real
live operator in master control do better than the totally automated
ones that are using LMS or server-based systems. HBO is quite good
for example, while something like the Golf Channel is all over the
place (not that I would watch either of them though).

My own particular system here does a horrible job but my satellite
signals are pretty consistent.

It's easier to AGC video levels, since you can key on something like
the white flag in the multiburst VITS signal which will be at a known
level at all times.