[mythtv-users] MythTV: Best Remote Control

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 20:29:47 UTC 2006

On 9/7/06, Allan Wilson <allanwilson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know there are a lot of choices out there as far as remote controls go and
> I am looking to change remotes and go to one that will do more features for
> me. I was wondering what everyone else out there was using successfully to
> do more than move around in the myth menus. Some features that I am looking
> to be able to do with one remote:
>
> Turn Tv Off/On
> Power PC on from remote
> Control Surround Sound with remote
> Possibly control mouse with remote
>
> The two that I have been looking at recently is the Universal Remote MX-850,
> http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=38,
> which won't turn my frontend off and on from what I can tell and the iMON
> Station,
> http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Products/imon22.aspx?topMenu=2&subMenu=1&leftMenu=22,
> which won't do Power On, and the iMON Inside will do power on but you have
> to have an exposed 5" drive bay (I don't). So what is everyone else using
> for the ultimate remote? Thanks
>
> Allan

The MX-850 is an awesome remote.  Nice big, easy to press buttons,
which can be used in the dark, even without using it's backlight.  Any
button can issue a macro.  The PC software to program it is easy to
use, but not perfect.

If you don't mind getting it from a "non authorized dealer", you can
save a lot of money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MX-850-MX850-850-Aeros-BRAND-NEW-BEST-DEAL-ON-EBAY_W0QQitemZ270025231414QQihZ017QQcategoryZ61323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Non-authorized means it does not qualify for the factory warranty.

Whether the remote can turn on/off your system is actually up to the
receiver, not the transmitter.  The silverstone cases, for example,
have a module between the IR receiver and the power pins on the
motherboard.  This modules allows the IR receiver to turn on the
computer, when it receives a certain ir-code.

One bad thing about Silverstone cases that use the iMon *PAD* remote,
is it uses a non-standard ir message.  Because it is non-standard, a
lot of "universal" remote controls cannot learn the ir codes for the
iMon PAD receiver.  Silverstone has told me that they are doing away
with the iMon PAD system in their cases and going with something more
standard.  This is actually suppose to happen sometime this month.

I am not willing to give up my MX-850, but have been considering
getting a Silverstone case.  When they update the IR system where my
MX-850 can easily learn to control the IR receiver in the case, I will
probably get one.

John