[mythtv-users] Per Card Volume Control Bounty started

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 7 20:12:00 UTC 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Daniel Walton wrote:

>> I think what you are trying to do is well-intentioned but
>> impractical.
>>
>> $500 US is less than you could make flipping burgers at a Manhattan
>> McDonalds for two weeks,  the actual value of performing such a
>> project on the open market is probably closer to $5000 or probably
>> more. At that level accounting protections would be a necessity, and
>> I think the IRS would begin to take an interest as well.
>
> I don't think the goal of this proposed bounty system is to try to
> pay the devs
> what they would make on the open market for their work.  They are
> all doing the
> work for free right now and $500 is a lot more than $0 so it seems
> like a good
> idea to me.

What you say is true, and I think it proves my point that the
developers are not motivated by dollars.

But what is being talked about is causing a developer to do something
that he or she would not otherwise do by offering money, and I think
this will fail.

But as I said, I'd certainly love to be proved wrong.