[mythtv-users] File system setup

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 14:30:39 UTC 2006

On 9/6/06, Chris McCuller <cpmccull at valdosta.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to build my first myth box, and have been going round and
> round about how to setup the filesystem. I have 3 internal 80GB HDDs (2
> IDE, 1 SATA), and an external USB2 500GB HDD. Initial thoughts were to
> use the SATA drive as the system drive, RAID0 the two IDE 80s as the
> 'recording' drive, and use the 500GB external as storage for recorded
> shows that I wanted to archive. Decided that setup doesn't make maximum
> use of my HDD capacity. The next idea was using LVM (based off of the
> MythWiki) to combine all said drives into one large logical volume
> group, then break off chunks into logical volumes for various tasks suhc
> as recording, music, and stored shows. I'm leaning towards this setup as
> I think it will make maximum use of my space and it allows me to extend
> my volumes as I choose.
>
> What have some of you setup for storage, and how has it worked out for you?

I would go with your initial plan. Use the External drive for
archiving shows you want to keep and RAID the two 80gb drives for your
recording drive. You can then always easily buy new drives for your
recording drive (since you can now get 300GB drives for under
$100...), and not worry about losing shows you wanted (since they will
be on your 500GB external drive).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!