[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

Chris Martin council.tax at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 08:19:38 UTC 2006

> I also think Isaac and the main developers have enough on their plate
> with the normal MythTV stuff to not bother with things that users
> would place a bounty on. I think the Bounty would be more open to
> people (University students) looking to do some open source coding and
> make some money at it as well.
>
> Obviously one of the requirements of the Bounty would have to be that
> the code gets accepted into the project.

I actually think a bounty system is a great idea.  Speaking as someone
whose coding skills aren't up to the standard to fix the few things in
Myth I'd like to see differently, this would provide the possibility
of getting work done.

Although some people have pointed out the problems with bounty systems
(the small amounts of money involved, the difficulty in collecting
etc) I don't think we really know if this will be a problem until we
try it out.  I'd therefore suggest that we have little to lose by
testing the theory and setting up a bounty on some commonly requested
feature (I'd happily to pay to get Mythmusic rewritten but I
personally think it might be too big a job to use to test out the idea
of bounty schemes).  If it works great, if not then we'll know for
definite next time somebody brings the subject up.

Chris