[mythtv-users] File system setup

Chris McCuller cpmccull at valdosta.edu
Wed Sep 6 20:54:35 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm about to build my first myth box, and have been going round and
round about how to setup the filesystem. I have 3 internal 80GB HDDs (2
IDE, 1 SATA), and an external USB2 500GB HDD. Initial thoughts were to
use the SATA drive as the system drive, RAID0 the two IDE 80s as the
'recording' drive, and use the 500GB external as storage for recorded
shows that I wanted to archive. Decided that setup doesn't make maximum
use of my HDD capacity. The next idea was using LVM (based off of the
MythWiki) to combine all said drives into one large logical volume
group, then break off chunks into logical volumes for various tasks suhc
as recording, music, and stored shows. I'm leaning towards this setup as
I think it will make maximum use of my space and it allows me to extend
my volumes as I choose.

What have some of you setup for storage, and how has it worked out for you?

Thanks so much!
Chris McCuller