[mythtv-users] Graphics card recomendation

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 5 22:58:35 UTC 2006

On 09/02/2006 04:23 PM, Dylan Semler wrote:

> On 9/1/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/01/06 19:50, Dylan Semler wrote:
>>
>> >  By Dual-link DVI port, you mean two DVI ports?
>>
>> No.

>> See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/173600#173600
>

> Thanks for the link, this is making since.  Just wondering... I assume
> then
> that I must also ensure that whatever display(ies) I end up getting must
> also support dual-link.

Both sides must have dual-link or you'll use single-link.  Basically,
you'll have to check specs for individual displays.  Whether it's
single-link or dual-link isn't "too" important compared to whether it
supports the desired resolution using the desired connector (i.e. 1080p
via DVI or 1080p via VGA or ...)

>   However, it seems that from the link you posted,
> this is not common, or is it?  Also, if I go with a card with dual DVI
> ports, do I need to make sure that both use dual-link or will that
> always be
> the case?

Don't know.

>   If the card has one DVI and one VGA, then the VGA can drive 1080p
> no problem?

Sure--assuming the card allows (i.e. can keep up with all those pixels,
...).

Mike