[mythtv-users] SPDIF *and* analog Sound at the same time?

wef javapojken at yahoo.se
Tue Sep 5 13:39:12 UTC 2006

I use digital and analog output at the same time.
The reason: I want digital output to my surround
system and analog output to the speakers in my
bathroom.

My sound card is some internal card:
A8V Deluxe motherboard (Realtek ALC850 codec)

I can't post the relevant parts of my .asoundrc
because I don't what parts are relevant... I just
created it with trial and error.
So here goes the whole .asoundrc:

pcm.via82xx {
  type hw
  card 0
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "leppe"
}

pcm.default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "leppe"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "leppe"
}

pcm.leppe {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 1234
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,1"
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 4096
    rate 48000
  }
}

ctl.via82xx {
  type hw
  card 0
}

ctl.mixer0 {
  type hw
  card 0
}

ctl.!default            { type hw; card 0; }

ctl.dsp0                { type hw; card 0; }

I hope it helps, as I've been struggling with this for
many, many nights.

> HI!
>
> I'd like to get ac3 sound directly out of SPDIF
> digital out, but at the same time analog out of the
> normal output.
>
> So far, I have only found examples of .asoundrc to
> get one *or* the other.
>
> If someone has this working, please post the
relevant > part of your .asoundrc and also which card
you are
> using. I have at the moment a Soundblaster Live 5.1,

> but I would probably buy a new card, if necessary.
>
> The reason:
> For normal TV shows, that are broadcast in mp2 or
ac3
> 2 channel, I normally use the standard TV speakers
> (analog) and the amplifier is off.
> For movies or sports in ac3 5.1, I'd like to use the

> SPDIF digital output directly to my 5.1 amplifier.
> And I do not want to reconfigure each time the
output