[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 3 11:15:12 UTC 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 11:16, Brian Wood wrote:
> I still think it's a good idea, but apparently the developers do not.
> I can understand this to a point, as it can lead to expectations on
> the part of "contributers", but the concept has been used with
> success by other open-source projects to purchase equipment for
> developers that they might otherwise not have access to (the NSLU2
> project comes to mind). It is, however, a fine line between that and
> paying developers directly.

You could always keep an eye out for when one of the devs makes a "I don't
have that model" kind of statement. Then get a couple of like minded
appreciaters and buy them the missing piece of kit. Hell, send it at
Christmas as a nice gift by way of thanks. (No, "What if they ain't
Christian?" questions, please.) They're all geeks, and all geeks like new
toys to play with :-) It then avoids the sensation of a transaction occuring.

Stick a page on the wiki "Toys for Devs",  allow people to pledge against a
dev/toy. When enough people pledge, contact them, get the dough, buy the kit,
and send it to the dev.

The only problem is; Isaac tends to be so terse that I doubt he'd ever go into
detail of what toys he's missing or would like.
--
Steve Boddy