[mythtv-users] System audio via PVR-350

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Sat Sep 2 23:45:47 UTC 2006

On Sat 02 Sep 2006 at 15:56:48 -0700, you wrote:

> Unfortunately, if you wish to use the MPEG-2 decoder in the PVR-350, it is
> that convoluted.  Of course, the TV I had at that time had separate
> S-Video and audio connectors, so I never had a problem connecting things
> properly.  (But again, remember, I'm in North America, where SCART is only
> on imported devices.)
>
> As somebody else mentioned in this thread, you can use the Xv driver for
> the PVR-350 and bypass the MPEG-2 decoder - then you wouldn't have to have
> the loop from the PVR-350 to your sound card, as everything would come out
> of the sound card.  However, that increases CPU utilization by a fair
> amount, it really depends on how beefy a system you have.

Hmm, well, my TV does have a DVI input, too, and that input DOES accept
2 RCA connectors. To use it, I'd have to put a reasonable video card in
the AGP slot and use software decoding, as you point out, but then I'd
have audio via the sound card.

Of course, if I did that, wouldn't I have to buy another sound card in
order to capture/listen to the audio from the second tuner card? Or
could I get by with a single sound card? It's not completely clear to me
when exactly multiple sound cards are required.

Thanks,

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Self Test for Paranoia:  You know you have
ian at caliban.org             | it when you can't think of anything that's