[mythtv-users] System audio via PVR-350

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Sat Sep 2 20:13:02 UTC 2006

On Sat 02 Sep 2006 at 12:28:41 -0700, you wrote:

> The PVR-350 will only output sound from MPEG files that it is playing, so
> there is no way that you can have the system sounds be piped out through
> the PVR-350.

Thanks for stating that so clearly. It's not what I wanted to hear,
though. :-)

> What you'll probably need is a special cable (I don't know if one exists
> or not) that will let you connect a graphics input and a separate audio
> output, and have them sent to a SCART output for your TV.  - a SCART
> combiner cable of sorts.  If it doesn't exist, it should be fairly easily
> to make one, if you have the skills.

The trouble is, it would need to be a triple-split cable, with
audio out from the PVR-350 to the sound card, then audio out from the
sound card to a SCART connector, plus video out from the PVR-350 also
to the same SCART connector.

So, then I'd get something like this:

      ____________
      |          |
      |    TV    |
      |          |
      ------------
          /\
         /  \
      1 /    \_
      _/     |\
      /|       \
     /    /|    |
     \   / | 2  |  3
      \ /  |    |
       |  \|/   |
     -------------
     |           |
     |     PC    |
     |           |
     -------------

where 1 is Video Out from the PVR-350 to a SCART that plugs into the TV,
2 is Audio Out from the PVR-350 to the PC's sound card, and 3 feeds back
from the sound card to the SCART connector going into the TV to bring
the sound full circle.

Does it really have to be this convoluted? Can such a cable even be
made, with split audio and video out, plus an audio in, which must
terminate in a SCART connector, along with the video out?

I can't help but think that there must be an easier way. How do other
PVR xxx owners get music and other system audio?

> I've always hated SCART since I was introduced to it, and this kind of
> situation doesn't make it like it any more.  Wish I could help more,
> perhaps somebody who uses SCART (I'm in North America) has more
> suggestions.

SCART seemed like an improvement when it first came out, and I suppose
it was, but since then, I've had a lot of trouble with it, since so many
cables and devices don't use all of the pins in the same way.

Thanks again for your help.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Free Speech Is The Right To Shout 'Theater'
ian at caliban.org             | In A Crowded Fire.   -- A Yippie Proverb