[mythtv-users] Scan for new music locks up at 75%

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 18:57:00 UTC 2006

On 9/2/06, Craig Partin <cpartin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Justin The Cynical <cynical at penguinness.org> wrote:
> > Michael Lenth wrote:
> >
> > > When scanning for new music to add to the library, the first pass or
> > > getting files goes to 100%, Then on the second pass it will start
> > > importing the id tags.  The bar will lock up at 75%,  It locks the GUI.
> > > I have to reboot from the prompt.
> >
> > *snip*
> >
> > > Is there a limit to the number of songs that the library will handle?
> >
> > I've not seen a limit.  I've got over 13000 files on my server and it
> > sees them all...  with a few exceptions.
> >
> > I had a similar problem and I narrowed it down to a few files that would
> > cause the SQL insert to 'hang'.  I've not looked closely yet to see why
> > they stopped the import, but I'm guessing it's a bad ID3 tag.  I'm going
> > to rewrite it and try the import again when I find the time.
> >
> > Try running the frontend with SQL verbose turned on and see which file
> > it's stopping on.  Move them, try again.
>

> I had a similar problem and it was corrupt files.  They wouldn't play
> in any software player so I just deleted them.  IIRC the myth log was
> where I found which track was borking the import.

Same for me, I had a few tracks that caused it to hiccup like this. I
did scan my 30,000 file collection during the week with no problems
though.

a great tagger (albeit for windows, but there are no good taggers for
linux...) is "The Godfather" at
http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/
its free but not OSS, but the author is active on the board and very nice.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!