[mythtv-users] System audio via PVR-350

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Sat Sep 2 17:53:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

This is one of those questions where one feels that the information is
right there in the FAQ, but I'm somehow misinterpreting it and missing
the obvious. Anyway, here goes...

I have a new MythTV box with a couple of PVR-350s in it. They are
European PAL PVR-350s, so the audio/video out is a split cable, one end
of which terminates in a SCART connector, while the other end terminates
in a 3.5 mm stereo jack.

I can get audio direct from the PVR-350; that's not a problem. In fact,
I get audio from the PVR-350 even if I uncheck the box telling MythTV to
directly use the PVR-350 for this purpose, so I suspect that the SCART
cable sends audio to the TV no matter what the software tries to do.

The thing is, however, I want to send audio via the sound card, so I
have the 3.5 mm connector plugged into the motherboard's on-board sound
card. Unfortunately, I have no external amplifier or home cinema kit of
any kind, so there's nothing for me to plug the sound card's Line Out
into.

Is it possible for me to somehow get system audio to be sent via the
PVR-350's TV Out? I'd like to be able to use MythMusic to play OGG files
via the television. The TV has no separate audio inputs, as it expects
both audio and video to be fed in via the SCART connector.

Can this be done, or am I stuck with no music until I get an external
amplifier?

Thanks,

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Things past redress and now with me past
ian at caliban.org             | care.   -- William Shakespeare, "Richard