[mythtv-users] Hardware encoding ffmpeg/mytharchive dule core

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 04:46:40 UTC 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 14.27, Ben Edwards (lists) wrote:

> Was thinking of upgrading my CPU due to the time it was taking to
> re-encode in mytharchive.  Had a thought, is it possible to put a
> hardware mpeg encoding board in and getting mytharchive/ffmpeg to use
> it.

Not possible. Hardware MPEG-2 encoders are designed to encode data
from on-board analog inputs only. What you're asking involves MPEG-2
decoding as well.

> Has anyone don't this, douse it work, which what hardware.
> Also would ffmpeg fully utilise a dual core CPU or would it only
> use one
> core?

Not really. ffmpeg isn't designed for symmetrical processing, so it
will only use a single core. However, this will benefit you if you
this box for multiple things (front-end as well as transcoding,
etc.). You'll see a benefit there, as the other core will be free to
do your bidding.
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)