No subject

Mon Oct 30 22:48:16 UTC 2006

NTFS write support

This enables the partial, but safe, write support in the NTFS driver.
The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without
changing the file length.  No file or directory creation, deletion or
renaming is possible.  Note only non-resident files can be written to so
you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot be
written to.

While we cannot guarantee that it will not damage any data, we have so
far not received a single report where the driver would have damaged
someones data so we assume it is perfectly safe to use.

Note:  While write support is safe in this version (a rewrite from
scratch of the NTFS support), it should be noted that the old NTFS write
support, included in Linux 2.5.10 and before (since 1997), is not safe.

This is currently useful with TopologiLinux.  TopologiLinux is run on
top of any DOS/Microsoft Windows system without partitioning your hard
disk.  Unlike other Linux distributions TopologiLinux does not need its
own partition.  For more information see
<http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/>

Mike