[mythtv-users] New machine, patch order

David Fishburn fishburn at ianywhere.com
Tue Oct 31 20:44:36 UTC 2006

I am pretty new to Linux, just looking for direction.

Just received my new machine which has an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard.

I have read on the list a few problems between ASUS mbs and the Hauppauge
cards (well the 500 anyway).

I am just wondering what the order of operations is for a new machine.

The patches from ASUS for Linux are just zip files.  The BIOS patch is a
.bin.
They have 2 patches for nVidia stuff.
	NVIDIA Display Linux Driver (v1.0-8174) install package for kernel
2.4 and 2.6.
	NVIDIA Chipset 32/64bit Linux Driver install package for kernel 2.4
and 2.6

So, do I:
1.  Install Ubuntu Edgy
2.  Apply these updates from ASUS
3.  aptitude update
4.  Grab the most current nVidia drivers

Is step 4 required.  Since it is a new machine I figured I should go out and
get all the updated drivers.  What I am not certain of is as the nVidia
files that I download from Asus any different from what I would get from
Ubuntu's package manager?

TIA,
Dave