[mythtv-users] MythStream woes...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 15:45:15 UTC 2006

On 10/31/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/28/06 12:30, Steven Adeff wrote:
> >I finally got it installed, and it looks to run fine. EXCEPT... I
> >can't figure out how to add my own "Storage Repository", nor can I add
> >a stream to one of the existing "Storage Repository"'s. When I click
> >add it just sits there, no stream is added.
> >
> >anyone have any idea how to do either of these things?
> >
> An idea, but it's been a long time.  The UI (User Interface) is not very
> UI (User-Intuitive), IIRC.  (This doesn't mean I have any ideas for how
> to make it better--just that it took me a while to figure out.)
> OK, let me go look and see...
> In the Internet Radio Settings, you go to Storages.  Because it's a
> "complex" UI compared to most of Myth, the normal keys won't let you do
> everything.  I think you have to hit Tab (at least, I couldn't find
> another key that worked) to get to the button to create a new storage (I
> /highly/ recommend DB storage).  Space selects the button (but Enter
> won't).  At this point you're moved over to the right of the screen
> where you can type in the info about the new storage.
> For adding streams, it's completely opposite.  Instead of hitting a
> button to be allowed to enter new details, you enter new details and
> then hit a button to save (or "Add") the information.  You have to be on
> the folder to which you want to add the stream, then hit Tab to go to
> the right of the screen, and type in the information about the new
> stream and select Add to save the info.  Note that this probably won't
> work if you don't first set up storage.
> Basically, in the end, it turns out to be well worth the effort of using
> a keyboard (even if that means "borrowing" one from another system).

Yes, this is what I found. I borrowed a keyboard from another system.
I think the major difficulty is in having to type in URLs. Not that
you couldn't make the MythStream UI use a few buttons beyond the
directionals to accomplish the same thing.
It would also be nice to be able to set things like the cache and
visualization as well. I do like the way the playback interface works,
even though it requires WAY too much CPU...

Now I need to look into scheduled stream recording.

Its a neat plugin though, its too bad it requires mplayer, switching
it to use the internal player in MythMusic would be great.
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -