[mythtv-users] Using media stored on multiple drives without LVM?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 31 12:31:47 UTC 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 4:20 PM, jack snodgrass wrote:

> On 10/30/06, Stephen Sassman <sassman1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have two hard drives full of avi files that I want to be able to
>> browse
>> and watch in mythtv. Since I didn't have the foresight to use LVM,
>> I am
>> having to change the videos directory every time I want to watch
>> something
>> on the other drive. Is there a way to just import everything on
>> both drives?
>

> myth_archive_job.pl will take files from your main store ( /mnt/
> store for me )
> and move them to a different location ( /mnt/videos/video1,
> /mnt/videos/video2 )
> and then make a symbolic link from /mnt/store to the new location.
> As far as
> myth is concerned, all of the videos are in one spot ( /mnt/store )
> even thought
> they are physically spread across my file system.
>
> If your case, the files are already moved, so you can write a small
> script
> that makes the symbolic links from one storage area to the other
> and then
> just use the main stoage area for myth.

myth_archive_job.pl is great, I use it all the time and it works well.

There are a couple of things to be aware of however: You need to make
sure that "follow links" is enabled in your setup, and even if you do
that, a transcode job will create a new file in the main storage area
and not delete the original.

So the simplest answer is not to use the script 'till after any
transcoding has been done.

Some backup strategies need to be aware that symlinks are in use.

These issues may well have been addressed. I'm using an older version
of 0.19.