[mythtv-users] Shouldn't mythbackend kill mythtranscode jobs when the former exits?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Oct 31 01:46:50 UTC 2006

Boleslaw Ciesielski <bolek-mythtv at curl.com> says:
> I was wondering if mythtranscode could be made to send the "delete"
> command to the backend instead of factoring out (or duplicating) the
> truncation code.

I proposed this. Got nixed on the grounds that having mythbackend
delete files it doesn't directly control is a security risk.

> But I don't know if mythtranscode is meant to be runnable standalone as
> well, with no backend running?

This brings up something else I'm curious about. When I properly shut
mythbackend down, any extant mythtranscode (and, I believe,
mythcommflag) jobs on that box stays running. If they're not killed,
when mythbackend comes back up it duly relaunches those same jobs,
which of course is a bad thing. This also causes issues when shutting
down my Fedora system; the shutdown process properly kills
mythbackend, but the transcode jobs that stay up prevent the NAS
directory mount from being closed, whiich means the shutdown process
hangs until it eventually forcibly kills the directory mount.

I know there are times to run mythtranscode and mythcommflag manually,
but can we put in a command-line switch to these commands so that,
without the switch, the processes will die along with mythbackend?