[mythtv-users] Will moving to DDR-400 memory from DDR-333 improve performance?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Oct 30 19:10:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-30-10 at 13:23 -0500, Rich West wrote:

> Of course, this thing runs a highly customized and stripped down mips
> kernel, busybox, etc.  It is definitely *not* a full blown linux based
> machine.

Of course not.  But do you really think the kernel and a few linux
utilities are gobbling up the hundreds and hundreds of MB of ram that we
are seeing?

>   Remember, there is a big difference between an off-the-shelf
> STB and a home-brewed set-top-box: the off-the-shelf one is highly
> customized with a lot of integrated hardware, whereas the home-brewed
> one is completely modular and capable of doing much, much more.

And that is a fair point.  That is why we all build Myth boxes of
course.

It just seems that 0.20 came with a much bigger footprint than 0.19 had.
I just wonder why.  Perhaps there is no reasonable explanation and there
is a bug somewhere.

b.

Brian J. Murrell