[mythtv-users] My experience with MythTV annoyances, 0.20-fixes version

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 30 17:59:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 01:08:59 -0800
Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> There is one issue I neglected to mention in my original message,
> which I describe at <URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1941> and
> <URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/799>. The only new, unresolved
> issue 0.20 has brought to bear is
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/223910#223910>.
> I still find it hard to believe that others are happy with menu
> transitions that take several seconds to complete!

You do not mention here what hardware you are running, but I had the same thing happend when I changed to using the OpenGL painter...agonizingly slow menu fades and transitions.

A day or two later I noted that I no longer had an XvMCConfig file in /etc/X11. Recreating that file with its one line 'libvia' library reference in effect turned XvMC back on. I presume that the system was not using the hardware specific capabilities because the Wrapper reference had disappeared. Glxgears was only 10%!!! of the hardware enabled rate: 79 down from 790 odd!.

I have NO idea how or why that file should/could have just disappeared. At the point that this took place, my mythbox' uptime was approaching 6 weeks and I had done nothing but some software only changes, none of which included an 'rm -f' of that file.
So if you are using via, nvidia or i810 specific drivers for xvmc, check there.

HTH
Geoff