[mythtv-users] MythArchive DVD menus freeze

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 19:04:21 UTC 2006

I'm having a strange problem with the DVDs created by MythArchive. When I
play a DVD created by MythArchive in a standalone DVD player or using
WinDVD, selecting an item on a menu seems to freeze the player. I can
usually get it to go to the destination by clicking pause and then play
(sometimes repeatedly). This happens whether the destination is a video or
another menu.

I've tried nearly all the themes and both 4:3 and 16:9 formats to try to
isolate this bug, but they all do it. The only success I've had is with the
autoplay theme, but obviously that has no menus.

I had this same problem using the original mythburn scripts as well, so I
have to believe it's something in my toolchain. I think the most likely
culprit is dvdauthor. I've searched up and down the mailing lists, dvdauthor
bug reports, general google searches, etc. and I've seen only one other
person that seemed to have a sort-of similar problem, but no resolution.

When I'm creating the DVD I always use the LP transcoding profile and create
the ISO and test it out using xine before burning to DVD. xine never has a
problem with the menus, but I'm guessing it's more forgiving.

Some details:
I'm using Gentoo 2006.0 on AMD64. Relevant packages installed:
media-tv/mythtv-0.20_p11444
media-plugins/mytharchive-0.20_p11222
media-video/dvdauthor-0.6.11
media-video/transcode-1.0.2-r2
media-video/mjpegtools-1.8.0-r1
media-video/ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20060530
app-cdr/dvd+rw-tools-6.1-r1

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance; at least some things to try.

Thanks,

Karl Newman