[mythtv-users] Aspect Ratio Help

Joel Jacobs jj7499 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 21:45:18 UTC 2006

I'm a MythTV noobie and It seems I'm having some trouble getting hdtv to
display properly.  I'm using an Asus Pundit with integrated geforce 6
video.  I'm using the folowing modeline:

ModeLine "ATSC-720-120p" 148.5 1280 1296 1360 1650 720 722 728 750

This is 1280x720 (16x9) 120hz vertical refresh.  The 120hz vert was
chosen because it's divisible by 24,30 and 60 and all modes seem to play
very smoothly.  I have the vertical scan on my monitor reduced so that
the raster is actually 16x9.  Problem is I always have black bars at the
top and bottom of the raster with aspect override "off".  Shouldn't an
ATSC broadcast fill a 1280x720 raster completely? When I quit playback
the MythTV Menus fill the raster completely as does my Xfce desktop.

I've gone through all the settings I can find but I must be missing
something.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here.  I will
eventually have this connected to a 1280x720 projector and I need it to
fill the screen!
Thanks much!
Joel