[mythtv-users] MythTV backup under LVM

stan stanlist at cox.net
Sun Oct 29 19:55:15 UTC 2006

I have two disks in my MythTV machine.  The system (/) is on hda3, and
recordings (/data/recordings) are on hdc1.  I've been backing up only hda
with partimage. I don't want to back up recordings.

I plan to start using LVM under Fedora, and partimage doesn't seem
appropriate for backup under LVM especially for filesystems on logical
volumes that span partitions.  For instance I might wind up with / on a
logical volume that resides on all of hda3 and part of hdc1 and /data on the
remainder of hdc1. I don't see any way to back up only the / filesystem with
partimage in this case.

Is tar the preferred backup method for filesystems under LVM?

--stan