[mythtv-users] Distro

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Oct 29 19:03:50 UTC 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 10:34 AM, mythtv-users wrote:

> For those that haven't used linux before however I (personally) think
> there should be a 'recommended' distro, how that should be chosen I
> don't
> know, is there for example one distro that most of the developers
> use? The
> most popular? Easiest? Best documentation? Most stable? Best hardware
> support?
>
> Maybe there is call for a site to rate the different distros along
> with
> the hardware they're running on[2]?

I think it depends on what somebody wants to "learn" Linux for. There
is a big difference between a High School student who wants to obtain
a CS degree and ultimately get a job as a System Administrator or a
Software Developer and a gamer who just wants to tell his friends
online that he "runs" Linux at home.

Ultimately the former type of person will want to be familiar with
many different distros, while the latter would be satisfied if he/she
could just get a graphical browser running.

The best advice I could give a new Linux user is to stay away from
anything graphical until you are totally familiar with the CLI
environment and can administer a system with no graphical tools. I'm
sure, however, that this approach would not be very popular. It's the
way I learned, but that was because the graphical stuff didn't exist
for Linux at that time :-)

Myth is probably a terrible "first" Linux project, even though some
folks have successfully set it up with no Linux experience. The "all-
in-ones" like KnoppMyth and MythDora are quite good, but some Linux
background is really required, especially if something goes wrong.

But as I said, this is probably the wrong forum for this discussion.