[mythtv-users] Distro

Intense Red intnsred at golgotha.net
Sat Oct 28 16:46:15 UTC 2006

   I just rebuilt my MythTV box to move from .18 to .20.  I went with Debian,
and the install was quite good.  Though I went with Debian's Etch/Testing
version, I cannot wait until Etch is "stable" since one of my key goals with
MythTV in to use it and to avoid playing with and tweaking it.

   What I like about Debian is that with the addition of the
debian-multimedia.org apt-get repository and Ian Campbell's repository at
www.hellion.org.uk, everything I need -- from IVTV to MythTV to the PVR-350's
tv-out X driver -- is available in Debian *.deb package formats to make
install and package management quite easy.

 > Ultimately choice of distro is largely a matter of taste, I guess,
 > and it depends very much on what you want your myth system to do.

   Several have echoed similar thoughts, along with "go with what you know"
sentiments.  Good advice.

 > - The install seemed bloated: lots of stuff got installed that really
 > wasn't relevant to a dedicated mythbox, especially when I installed X
 > support. Also lots of daemons are setup by default, which may or may not
 > be necessary.

   This is just due to using the "task selection" option during the install.
I typically opt for unchecking the "desktop task" and then selecting what I
need/want after a minimal install by using the the "aptitude" package
manager.

   Since Debian is by far the largest GNU/Linux distro, it can be easily
bloated by adding all sorts of software; but that doesn't mean it has to be
that way.

--
Fast fact: Of the 34 chemicals most widely used on lawns, 25% are widely
believed to cause birth defects, genetic mutation, and cancer.