[mythtv-users] Distro

John Schmitt cromworshipper-mythtvlist at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 16:04:00 UTC 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 09:18, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Wondering which distro is giving people the least frustrations. I
> considered doing KoppMyth, but is this something I can easily change/
> add to when required?
>
> Some background as to why I'm giving up on Fedora:
> I was running FC4 for a long time with no problem until one day LVM
> decided to trash my superblocks - yes, EVERY superblock on my disk.
> All that work is now gone. So I tried FC5 on a new disk. Ran into
> dependencies that couldn't be resolved. bind conflicted with some
> other package and kept trying to re-download the 600MB of packages
> every time I tried. After the 4th time of adding/removing packages to
> solve dependencies, I gave up. Then I couldn't get nvidia driver to
> load. No idea why. I was too frustrated to find out. So I go back to
> FC4 and haven't been able to get yum upgrade to finish after 2.5 days
> of trying. 403's, 404's, parser errors. Forget it. It's not worth it.

I've had my MythTV setup for over a year now using LVM2 on Fedora 4.  I recall
an issue at around 2.6.11 or 2.6.12 where an ext2 bug that affected LVM users
over some amount like 500GB.  I too had to start over and I was unhappy at
the time but having root-caused the issue, I went with FC4 again.  I love
LVM!  I keep an eye on my drives using smartctl
(http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/) and know when to add a new drive to
the volume so I can take out the bad one.  I've had to do that, and it would
have been easier if I'd read all the docs, but I got by on the man pages and
doing the intuitive things.

Are you using Yum or smart to keep your machine up to date?

I agree with Brian Wood who said that there are a lot of people using Fedora
these days and critical issues like that get fixed.  And I imagine that all
of the distros have package installers like yum or apt and so installing
MythTV is very easy.

Pick a distribution you like.  I'm going to upgrade to FC6 this weekend, if I
can find the time.

John