[mythtv-users] LVM and ext3, reduction?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 10:24:35 UTC 2006

> e2fsck -f /dev/volume_group/logical_volume
> resize2fs /dev/volume_group/logical_volume 320G
> lvresize -L -50G dev/volume_group/logical_volume
>
> Of course, the 320G is probably not quite right - you'll have to check
> exactly what the available size is pre adding the extra space, or what
> it is afterwards less 50G I guess.
>
> I have done this on both reiserfs and ext3. What I do is slightly
different:

resize2fs /dev/volume_group/logical_volume 319
lvresize -L -50G dev/volume_group/logical_volume
resize2fs /dev/volume_group/logical_volume

This way the first resize makes sure that the data is smaller than the first

logical volume and then logical volume is reduced and then the filesystem
is resized in the 3rd command to the exact size of the logical volume. This
way I don't have to play with trying to figure out exactly how many blocks
resize the volume...

John