[mythtv-users] Timeshifting on a diskless Front End?

Donald Hughes panurge at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 27 20:40:23 UTC 2006

I searched through the FAQ and never found an answer to this question.  If I
use a centrally-located server for all recording and disk storage, would a
separate, possibly diskless, Front End be able to timeshift live TV?  I
guess it would be doing this over the network, which may have negative
performance consequences, but is it possible?

The topology I have in mind is to replace two Tivos with a central MythTV
server and two MythTV front ends. I was considering using old XBoxes for the
front ends.  Since setting up a system like this could take a considerable
amount of time and a nontrivial amount of cash, I would appreciate any
feedback you guys have on this plan.  I know you guys probably hear these
kinds of questions asked all the time, so I apologize for being repetitious.
  If there's a post or webpage out there somewhere, please point me to it.

Thanks for your knowledge and time,
Donald Hughes