[mythtv-users] "Excellent" transcode isn't so excellent

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Oct 27 19:07:27 UTC 2006

Chris Ribe wrote:
> It isn't the copyright infringment that is criminal - it is the DMCA
> crime of breaking CSS.  Buying the movie doesn't make ripping it any
> less criminal.

This is one of those annoying cases where what's legal doesn't line up
with what's moral.  This often happens when the law gets distorted by
business interests.  While it may be technically illegal, I see no
*moral* issue with ripping a movie you own.  You've paid for it; you're
just choosing to view it in a different way.  Ripping a movie you
*don't* own, on the other hand, seems to me to be a form of theft, and
hence immoral.  Just my opinion.