[mythtv-users] Backend woes..

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Oct 26 23:56:52 UTC 2006

So much for a working system. :(

I *had* it working up until I got home today.  The only thing I did
remotely was install Glide3, xmame, and a bunch of roms.  I couldn't
get them to be recognized, so I figured I would work on it later.

We had a "Video" playing, which worked just fine.  When we exited that
and went to "Watch TV", the system paused for a little bit, then came
back to the main MythTV screen.  From there on out, it complained that
the backend wasn't running.

Now, I can perform "mplayer /dev/video0" and get both audio and
picture without any issues.

If I simply start up the frontend (with the backend running), and I go
to "Information Center" and select "System Status" and I go down to
"Tuner Status", I immediately get a notification about the backend not
running (It was when I started the frontend).

All that gets logged is:
2006-10-26 19:48:52.138 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Monitor
2006-10-26 19:48:52.146 adding: mythtv1 as a client (events: 0)
2006-10-26 19:48:52.146 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Monitor
2006-10-26 19:48:52.147 adding: mythtv1 as a client (events: 1)
2006-10-26 19:48:53.421 MainServer: HandleRemoteEncoder(cmd GET_STATE)
Unknown encoder: 2, exiting

It is so frustrating because MythTV doesn't log anything in the normal
unix-ish way (log files, syslog, etc), so getting anything out of it
to debug the issue is difficult, to say the least.

I don't even know where to start aside from backing up all of the
configuration files and rebuilding the entire machine (since it seems
like it would be quicker than trying to debug the problem).

-Rich