[mythtv-users] Mult-system design

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Oct 26 17:20:01 UTC 2006

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before, but I am looking
for some current/up-to-date input.

Background:
I have successfully gotten MythTV up and running on one system.  It is
both the backend and the front end.  I moved the MySQL database off of
this system and on to a central server in the house (it performs a
number of other duties and is backed up nightly).  Music & Photos are
NFS mounted off of the same central server.

Goal:
To have multiple MythTV systems (2, maybe three), one for each
television, with each system having access to the same store of
recordings.  In other words, if System1 records a television show, and,
later in the day, we're sitting at System2, we can watch the show that
System1 recorded.  For that matter, if we were sitting at System1, we
could also watch that show.  This is sort of a long range goal seeing as
I just got the first system up. :)  All systems will have recording
capability.  My hope is to have one system (my backup server) be the
primary data storage location (with lots of disk space) for Videos and
recordings.

So.. here's my question: what is the best way to get to the goal?  I
realize that only one system should be updating the guide data
(mythfilldatabase).  I would have the central server perform this task,
but I'm not sure just how easy that would be to do.  Besides, it
probably isn't worth the effort.  Should I just NFS mount the "video"
directory directory off of the main server?  This would probably be fine
for imported DVD's (Movies), but will it be ok for scheduled recordings?