[mythtv-users] Still don't get transcoding

mark mark at hethos.org
Thu Oct 26 03:51:07 UTC 2006

> I started transcoding my files so I could get some more distance out
> of my drive space and I am confused. When my shows are recorded
> (pvr150) they are saved as .mpg, but when I transcode them using
> MPEG-4 they get saved as .nuv .
>
> When I do a file on the original mpg it reports
>
> [root at mythtv mythvideo]# file 1048_20061021020000.mpg
> 1048_20061021020000.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex
>

> but if I do that to a tramscoded file it reports
>
> [root at mythtv mythvideo]# file 1016_20061003170000.nuv
> 1016_20061003170000.nuv: data
>
> I just don't get it.
>

> --
> Christopher Moewes-Bystrom
> www.moewes.com
> chris.moewes at gmail.com

The native video format of mythtv used to be (or still is) nuv. If myth
was doing the compression it would normally use a nuv file. In the case of
recording a stream from a device that already does compression it will
sometimes save an MPG instead. If you transcode a file to nuppelvideo
format it will be converted to a .nuv file, and this is usually the
encapsulation used for mpeg-4 data as well. (As I understand it there is a
technical reason why the .nuv encapsulation is needed, but I don't recall
the details).

You can use nuvexport to export mythtv recordings. I believe nuvexport
works on both nuv and other mythtv recordings, but I haven't used it since
I was running 0.19.

Mark