[mythtv-users] Question about input source amplifiers/splitters

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Wed Oct 25 17:44:02 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have a technical question, and this is the best place I could think of
right now.  If there is someplace else, please let me know.

In my house, I am using Adelphia (soon to be Comcast) for my cable and
my HS Internet.  So, 1 feed, into a 2 way splitter.  1 leg to cable
modem, and 2nd leg to ..........

(This is pretty ugly right now, which is why I want some advice so I can
clean it all up).

I have a 4 way splitter.  3 of the legs go to 3 TVs in the rest of the
house, via VCRs/tuner boxes.  That's pretty straight forward.

The 4th leg goes to another 4 way splitter, which is used to feed my 2
mythtv boxes  (I'm playing with drivers/cards, which is why 2 boxes).
(2xPVR150, 1xPVR250, 1xHauppauge BT878 or Pinnacle 878, depending upon
which one I'm playing with)

Anyway, I have noticed some definite fuzziness on my PVR-150s, and I was
wondering if it would be advantageous to get one of those wiring closet
boxes for low-voltage stuff, and then look at an amplifier such as the
Channel Vision C-0315 - Channel Vision Power Injected Inline 15dB
Amplifier, and then go with an C-0208 1 in - 8 out passive RF Splitter?

Is this all overkill?  Is there anyway I can easily check my house setup
to see if I am having signal issues?

I would like to try to do this stuff myself (I'm cheap, and I like to
learn what I can), so anything I can do myself would make me happier.

Any/all input cheerfully accepted.

Thanks.