John Haritos jharitos at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 20:55:45 UTC 2006

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:44:50 -0500
From: Joel Means <jmeans at physics.tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] New kernel and lirc issue
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> On 10/24/06, *John Haritos* <jharitos at yahoo.com
> <mailto:jharitos at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks pebender. That fixed the problem. The kernel is also taking
>     control of the serial port as well so my IR blaster doesn't work
>     (just lights up at boot). I tried 'blacklist serial' but this didn't
>     work. Does anyone know what I should add to blacklist the serial
>     port. It's COM1.
>
>     Thanks again pebender. I would've never figured it out on my own.
>

> Use "setserial" for this.  In particular, "setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none".
>
> In your modprobe.conf , you can use a line like this:
>
> install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none; /sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install lirc_serial
>
> Carl Fongheiser

Looks like Carl types a little faster than me.

Thanks for the info. Actually, I already had all that in my modprobe.conf and rc.local. Looks like something else is causing the issue as the IR Blaster works by sending pulses yet it stays lit all the time starting at boot. I commented out some lines and did some testing and I noticed the IRB stays lit at the following command.

/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial

Not sure why, the previous kernel I was using didn't do this. I recompiled lirc 0.80 to match the kernel but it didn't help.