[mythtv-users] Digital sound

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 18:59:44 UTC 2006

On 10/24/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 10/24/06 11:18, Frank Armstrong wrote:
>
> > I've upgraded to myth .20...and i had analog sound but no digital
> > sound via myth.  I could select a file and play it through xine and
> > sound went out via spdif no problem...but not in myth so i altered my
> > .asound.conf file with what you see below and now i have no sound at
> > all.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  Thanks

> > ##### IMPORTANT #####
> > # To make this ALSA configuration file work with your sound card, you
> > will need
> > # to define the appropriate card and device information for the
> > "analog-hw" and
> > # "digital-hw" devices below.  You can find the card and device
> > information
> > # using "aplay -l".
> >

> You did this?
>
> Mike

There's also a section up top that has the same error.  I'm assuming it's an
error in the .asound and not with his email client:

#  - "digital" outputs to the digital output directly.  Since most (all?)
#  digital outputs expect 48kHz PCM audio, this may not work for some
playback
#  (i.e. CD's--which are 44.1kHz PCM audio--or 32kHz audio streams from
TV
#  recordings, etc.).
#  - "mixed-digital"

the TV should have a # in front otherwise .sound will not work correctly.  I
had the same problem with copying my entire asound.conf into vi using
SHIFT+INSERT.  It would miss the first # sign on the first line and get
screwy.

Jim