[mythtv-users] Will moving to DDR-400 memory from DDR-333 improve performance?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Oct 23 15:33:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-23-10 at 08:16 -0700, Joe Votour wrote:

> It is unfortunately the bloat of Linux and X11/Qt sneaking up on us.

Indeed.  QT and X11 are just all wrong for STBs.  I was very
disappointed when I came to Myth to discover that I could not in any way
get it to run on DirectFB.

> If you want to trim down the memory, then you basically need to make the
> machine a dedicated MythTV machine, with a stripped down kernel for only
> your hardware and maybe even compile MythTV against uClibc.

I doubt any of that is going to make a dent in the ~370MB of VM that the
the myth(front,back}end are consuming.

> You'd also
> want to selectively compile options out of MythTV as well.

Again, a drop in the bucket I suspect.  I'd hope that OpenGL could help
save us from the QT library bloat, but it will not alleviate the problem
that Myth is probably using lots of the non-gui functionality of the QT
library (which it's not going to want to give up -- understandably) and
we are always going to pay the UI code penalty of that library even
when/if we are not using a lick of it.

> Most Linux-based set-top boxes use a CPU in the range of 200MHz and 32 or
> 64MB of memory.

Uh-huh.

> Of course, they also don't use X

Uh-huh.

> (they use MicroWindows
> or something smaller than X),

DirectFB is tiny compared to X.

> Also, most people are running both the frontend and the backend on the
> same machine (although I am not).  This has higher memory requirements
> than just a regular set-top box.

Do you think cableco supplied DVRs have a gig of ram in them?

b.

Brian J. Murrell