[mythtv-users] How the heck do I pick a power supply???

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 23 01:31:16 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 October 2006 00:21, Nick wrote:
> I'm using a Seasonic S12 430W with my Silverstone LC17M case. 4
> capture cards (3xDVB, 1xPVR), 3 hard drives and an Athlon64 3000+, and
> on 24/7. My other PSUs are all Enermax, and I've not had any problems
> with those either. You might also want to check out
> http://www.silentpcreview.com.

I third the seasonics. I've a 350W in the FE and a 430W in the backend.
They're exceptionally quiet. To give an idea of power draw, my backend has:
2500 Barton, 1GB RAM, 3 DVB-T Tuners, gigabit NIC, two disk controllers, 7
hard drives, a DVD+/-RW, a 6600GT, 3 120mm fans and 1 80mm fan. (phew! I
think that's everything.)

Even when the system is loaded it doesn't draw more than about 220W (although
that was without the 3 tuners.)

Unless you start sticking SLI'd 7800's in there, it's arguable that even the
430W is a bit over-sized, and over-sized is bad with PSU's. They've got
varying efficiency over the range, which has implications for generating
excessive heat which has to be exhausted.
--
Steve Boddy