[mythtv-users] read only tables

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 22 21:03:37 UTC 2006

On 10/22/06 16:07, mythtv-users wrote:

>>I recommend using optimize_mythdb.pl (from the contrib directory of the
>>source distribution), instead.  As it says in the comments, the
>>recommended usage is as a daily cron job (and, in a cron job, can shave
>>7s off the startup time for those days when you're restarting it over
>>and over--i.e. for upgrades or whatever).
>>

>You shouldn't need to repair tables unless you've had a crash, if you have
>a crash you want it fixed when you reboot, _NOT_ upto 24 hours later[1]!

I reboot my system every few months (generally, the power company does
the rebooting), not < 24 hours.  After all, "This is linux not windows!"

>Not a bad idea to run optimize_mythdb.pl daily from cron but that really
>should be for optimisation rather than repair.
>
>As for restarting it over and over, what? This is linux not windows!

Which means it's well suited to development, which means that installing
new builds of MythTV over and over for testing the code you've written
requires restarting over and over.

Even just installing a new version requires a restart of
mythbackend/mythfrontend.

> If
>you really want that 7sec back it's dead easy to just detect an unclean
>shutdown and only run it then but I prefer to know that the database will
>come up cleanly.

I just prefer those 7sec happen on my computer's time, not mine (i.e.
not when I'm watching it/waiting on it).

Mike